Tuesday, October 24, 2023

You, Lady, are the Tree

Today, serendipity led me a to a poem by Rainer Maria Rilke, first published in Das Buch der Bilder (1902), which echoes a theme from Nephi's vision. Here it is in case you want to slip it into your next sacrament meeting talk.

First, Nephi, as translated by Joseph Smith:

And it came to pass that the Spirit said unto me, "Look!"

And I looked and beheld a tree; and it was like unto the tree which my father had seen; and the beauty thereof was far beyond, yea, exceeding of all beauty; and the whiteness thereof did exceed the whiteness of the driven snow.

And it came to pass after I had seen the tree, I said unto the Spirit, "I behold thou hast shown unto me the tree which is precious above all."

And he said unto me, "What desirest thou?"

And I said unto him, "To know the interpretation thereof" -- for I spake unto him as a man speaketh; for I beheld that he was in the form of a man; yet nevertheless, I knew that it was the Spirit of the Lord; and he spake unto me as a man speaketh with another.

And it came to pass that he said unto me, "Look!"

And I looked as if to look upon him, and I saw him not; for he had gone from before my presence. And it came to pass that I looked and beheld the great city of Jerusalem, and also other cities. And I beheld the city of Nazareth; and in the city of Nazareth I beheld a virgin, and she was exceedingly fair and white.

And it came to pass that I saw the heavens open; and an angel came down and stood before me; and he said unto me, "Nephi, what beholdest thou?"

And I said unto him, "A virgin, most beautiful and fair above all other virgins."

And he said unto me, "Knowest thou the condescension of God?"

And I said unto him, "I know that he loveth his children; nevertheless, I do not know the meaning of all things."

And he said unto me, "Behold, the virgin whom thou seest is the mother of God, after the manner of the flesh."

And it came to pass that I beheld that she was carried away in the Spirit; and after she had been carried away in the Spirit for the space of a time the angel spake unto me, saying, "Look!"

And I looked and beheld the virgin again, bearing a child in her arms.

And the angel said unto me: "Behold the Lamb of God, yea, even the Eternal Father! Knowest thou the meaning of the tree which thy father saw?" (1 Ne. 8:11-21)

And now, Rilke, as translated by J. B. Leishman:

Annunciation
(Words of the Angel)

You are not nearer God than we;
he's far from everyone.
And yet your hands most wonderfully
reveal his benison.
From woman's sleeves none ever grew
so ripe, so shimmeringly:
I am the day, I am the dew,
you, Lady, are the Tree.

Pardon, now my long journey's done,
I had forgot to say
what he who sat as in the sun,
grand in his gold array,
told me to tell you, pensive one
(space has bewildered me).
I am the start of what's begun,
you, Lady, are the Tree.

I spread my wings out wide and rose,
the space around grew less;
your little house quite overflows
with my abundant dress.
But still you keep your solitude
and hardly notice me:
I'm but a breeze within the wood,
you, Lady, are the Tree.

The angels tremble in their choir,
grow pale, and separate:
never were longing and desire
so vague and yet so great.
Something perhaps is going to be
that you perceived in dream.
Hail to you! for my soul can see
that you are ripe and teem.

You lofty gate, that any day
may open for our good:
you ear my longing songs assay,
my word -- I know now -- lost its way
in you as in a wood.

And thus your last dream was designed
to be fulfilled by me.
God looked at me: he made me blind . . .

You, Lady, are the Tree.

1 comment:

HomeStadter said...

This passage of the Book of Mormon is possibly more Marian than the Magnificat or Symeons tribute to her. That says Mary is highly favored, this puts her on a level of the godhead, or pretty close.
Catholics went ahead and did that anyways, going beyond the scripture they have. I served in Mexico, which has a strong Marian tradition because of the five Marian apparitions to Jaun Diego. I had a Mexican companion who would read from this passage (v13-18) when people would say something like, your message is very nice but I can't leave the religion of my fathers and give up venerating Mary.They were always surprised that we had this passage in our book. This didn't convert anybody, but reduced contentions considerably and made it clear we weren't another variety of evangelical.
Still, I am not sure of what to do with this passage. In the LDS church we only pray to the Father in the name of Jesus. The scriptural basis for this is the instructions given by Jesus in 3 Nephi. I would put that instruction firmly in the category of - I'm going to make the gospel very simple and well defined so there are no disputations among you. Likely there is not anything neccesarily wrong with praying to other members of the godhead, in principle, and that instruction is to prevent disputations. Which means that criticizing catholics for praying to Mary might be keeping the letter of the law we have been given, but absolutely missing the spirit of it.
This simplified gospel to avoid disputations worked very well for the Lehite nations - they were extraordinarily united.

In modern times though, this reminds me of the xkcd comic:
panel 1 - there are 15 different software coding standards
panel 2 - Hey we should make a standard that incorporates the best of all these, that is simple and easy to use so there is a universal standard.
panel 3 - lots of working, meetings, etc.
panel 4 - Title: Very soon. There are 16 different established software coding standards.


One final thought - the tree is the love* of God, and as you say it is Mary, the mother of Jesus. I think the principle here may be that love, in order to exist, needs to be between at least two people (and for the highest form a male-female dyad). That is it must be reciprocated, living water, not stagnant water, and one sided love goes bad. In Moroni we learn Jesus is our pure source of love. I suspect that for him to be a source of love he must be in an established perfected loving relationship, such as a mother-son (or possibly husband-wife.) That's why it is identifying the tree (love of God) with Mary (most beautiful corresponding to most desirable, also fair and white like the fruit) and also with Jesus (sheddeth abroad (children of men) corresponding to going forth among the children of men, also word of God like the iron rod).

*As per the fourth gospel I think of this love as also being light and life to keep it clear what this is.

Thoughts on the murder of Laban

Nephi and his brothers have twice failed to obtain the plates of brass from Laban. The first time, Laman alone goes to Laban and simply asks...